Consecutive invoice numbers
From now on you have the possibility to assign consecutive invoice numbers to the invoices you issue to your customers! Here you will learn what exactly you have to do for this.
What to consider
According to the law, there are several factors you have to consider when issuing invoices. You will find detailed information about invoice legislation in Germany in this legal text. Essentially, you should note:
- According to § 14 paragraph 4 UStG an invoice number may only be used once. Bookingkit takes care of this for you, so you have one less thing to worry about!
- Invoice numbers can consist of a combination of numbers and letters. Theoretically you can even use spaces as a character.
- It is common to include the year, month or even full date in the invoice number.
- This is especially recommended for small companies that have not yet issued many invoices to avoid disclosing the small number of issued invoices to their end customers.
Set up sequential invoice numbers
Setting up sequential invoice numbers is a piece of cake! You can take your accounting to next level with just a few clicks. Click on "Create invoice number scheme" under Customization -> Invoice Number:
Now you can edit your invoice numbers in just five simple steps:
- Determine with which digit your invoice should begin.
- In the second step you can set how many numbers your invoice should have (up to six is possible).
- Now decide if the date should also be displayed in the invoice number.
- If the third option is activated, you can now choose whether the year or the year and date should appear on your invoices. Additionally, you can enter fixed combinations of numbers and letters before and after the invoice numbers, e.g. your company abbreviation.
- From when should your new invoice algorithm be applied?
To keep track of your invoice history at all times, you can view all invoice settings in your bookingkit account under Customization -> Invoice Number.
Good to know
- Do you need an overview of all invoices you have issued so far? No worries, here you will learn everything you need to know!
- By the way, invoices for small amounts (250,00 € including VAT) do not have to include a consecutive invoice number.
- Efficient invoicing and accounting are an absolute must for any business. Fortunately, bookingkit has your back! You can learn more about processing invoices with bookingkit here.